Deadline: 7th Jul 2015
For the Leuven Language Institute (ILT) we are seeking to appoint a junior Chinese language instructor
Leuven Language Institute (ILT) offers language courses in various KU Leuven faculties as
well as tailor-made courses and services for specific target groups (e.g. Master students,
junior researchers, administrative and technical staff). The various language courses within
the ‘Language and Area Studies: Sinology’ degree programme are also taught by ILT lecturers.
The Sinology degree programme, which is organized by the Sinology research group, has a
dual focus: the major, which is compulsory for all students, seeks to provide students with
integrated knowledge of on the one hand (spoken and written) Chinese, including Classical
Chinese, and on the other hand various aspects of the geographical area in which the language
is used (culture, history, society, politics, economics, philosophy). Two minors are offered,
one focusing on cultural-historical aspects and one on economic aspects.
University of Leuven (Belgium) is seeking to appoint a Junior Chinese language instructor
Period: Fixed-term contract extendable
Apply no later than: July 07, 2015
Drawing on your extensive subject-specific and didactic expertise, you will teach Chinese
language courses, coach students and develop a supportive learning environment.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- designing and teaching specific courses as well as assessing students at all stages of the degree programme, in particular the third stage of the Bachelor’s programme, the Master of Sinology programme, and the teacher training programme for Chinese
- designing teaching activities and coaching students (e.g. for the Chinese language component of their Bachelor’s paper and Master’s thesis); providing student support services
- managing the practical organisation and logistics of the students’ learning route; coordinating teaching activities
- updating and disseminating knowledge of your own field; developing and introducing new methods of instruction
- providing support for the Sinology degree programme as a whole; contributing to the development of a two-year Master’s programme
- collaborating with / supporting colleagues in designing language-related activities and conducting research
Excellent command of Chinese ((near) native speaker)
Master’s or PhD degree in Sinology or equivalent
Preferably, a teacher training degree (specific to the teaching of Chinese) or equivalent, and strong didactic skills
Social skills, creativity and flexibility in teaching Offer
You will be part of an enthusiastic and highly motivated team of lecturers and researchers who enjoy teaching and conducting research, who like to try out new methods of instructions and – either individually or as a team – strive to improve or innovate their teaching or research. You will teach a group of enthusiastic students who like to reflect and offer feedback on the teaching and research process.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Serge Verlinde, tel.: +32 16 32 56 73, mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. dr. Nicolas Standaert, tel.: +32 16 32 49 46, mail:
You can apply for this job no later than July 07, 2015 via the online application tool