Saint Petersburg, Russia
24 – 30th Aug 2015
Deadline: 10th Apr 2015
The EACS Summer School “Traditional China: a closer distant view” at the Faculty of Asian and African Studies of St. Petersburg State University, focuses on important matters of the present-day Chinese studies in Europe. The Summer School presents a one-week intensive training program on several specific subjects: Chinese history, religion, art, literature, European-Chinese relations and St. Petersburg collections of Chinese manuscripts and art. The working language of the summer school is English.
MA and PhD students are welcome to apply for participation in the EACS Summer School “Traditional China: A Closer Distant View”, to be held at St.Petersburg University, The State Hermitage Museum and the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts. Further details go in the attached leaflet.
Lectures (24 academic hours)
1. Alexander Storozhuk (St. Petersburg University, Russia): “Philosophy and Folks Beliefs of Traditional China”;
2. Irina Popova (Institute of Oriental Manuscripts, RAS, Russia): “Dunhuang Collections in St. Petersburg”;
3. Kira Samosyuk (State Hermitage Museum, Russia): “Buddhist Artistic Tradition in China”;
4. Lucie Olivova (Masaryk University, Czech Republic): “Pop-ular Woodblock Prints: Their Subject-Matter and Purpose” and “Tobacco Smokers in Popular Woodblock Prints”;
5. Rüdiger Breuer (Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany) “Song and Yuan Period pinghua: Narrative Texts between Oral Tradition and Written Composition”;
6. Michael Schimmelpfennig (The Australian National University) “Traditional Chinese Commentary”;
7. Nikolay Samoylov (St. Petersburg University, Russia) “Russia as a Bridge between Europe and China: Past, Present and Future Perspectives”;
8. Dmitrу Mayatsky (St. Petersburg University, Russia): “Chinese Manuscript Collections at St. PetersburgUniversity”;
9. Yulia Mylnikova (St. Petersburg University, Russia) “Woman in Chinese Art”.
The St. Petersburg Summer School activities are hosted by the Faculty of Asian and African Studies of St. Petersburg State University, the State Hermitage Museum, and the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts (Russian Academy of Sciences). All venues (including accommodation) are located within comfortable walking distance.
August 24 — Arrival of lecturers and students;
August 25 — Opening ceremony, lectures at the St. Petersburg State University;
August 26 — Lectures at the Hermitage Museum;
August 27 — Lectures at the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts and the St. Petersburg State University;
August 28 — Lectures at the St. Petersburg State University, round-table attended by the EACS board members;
August 29 — Tour to the Chinese Palace of Oranienbaum, farewell banquet;
August 30 — Departure.
Admission and deadline
We will select 30 MA and PhD students in Chinese Studies from all over Europe. Applicants are requested to send a detailed CV, an official certification testifying their current student status, the candidate’s motivation letter to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is April 10, 2015. Decision for selection will be made by April 20, 2015.
1. Transportation to St. Petersburg — on expenses of the participants;
2. Tuition — free of charge;
3. Accommodation (double-room at an apartment hotel, breakfast included) — free of charge;
4. Lunches and coffee-breaks — free of charge;
5. Visa support and visa fee — free of charge;
6. Tours to the Hermitage Museum and the Chinese Palace of Oranienbaum — Russian royal residence located on the Gulf of Finland — free of charge.
Accommodation of extra participants, attendants as well as the higher comfort hotel-rooms and services available for extra-charges on accounts of the participants.
Download this announcement as PDF…