25-29th Aug 2020
Deadline: 6th Jan 2020
As the Corona pandemic is dragging on, the EACS has decided that conditions do not allow holding the EACS 2020 conference in the final week of August 2020. Follow this link for the postponement announcement: http://chinesestudies.eu/?p=4095
Please follow this link to the mein conference website https://conference.uni-leipzig.de/eacs2020/
Visit this link to find the registration directly https://conference.uni-leipzig.de/eacs2020/shop/?orderby=price-desc
The 23rd Biennial Conference of the European Association for Chinese Studies (EACS) will be held at Leipzig University (Germany) from 25 August 2020 to 29 August 2020. Local organisation is provided by the Institute of East Asian Studies, Leipzig University. The EACS biennial conference is the biggest Chinese Studies meeting in Europe, typically featuring between 400 and 500 paper presentations.
Leipzig University is Germany’s second-oldest university, having been founded in 1409. Germany’s first chair in East Asian Languages was established here in 1878; the Institute of East Asian Studies opened its doors in 1914. The city of Leipzig has a population of just under 600,000; it is a city of music, having been home to many composers (Johann Sebastian Bach, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Robert & Clara Schumann, Richard Wagner, to name just a few) and the well-known Gewandhaus symphony orchestra. The conference will take place on the university’s campus in the historic city centre.
Scholars of Chinese Studies are invited to submit their proposals for contributions in these categories:
1. Archaeology & Material Culture
2. Chinese as a Second Language
3. Contemporary Arts, Performing Arts & Art History
6. Gender & Queer
7. History (Modern)
8. History (Premodern)
9. History of Science and Technology
10. Language & Linguistics
12. Literature (Modern)
13. Literature (Premodern)
14. Philosophy & Intellectual History
16. Politics (Domestic)
17. Politics (International Relations)
18. Sinology & Sociology of Scientific Knowledge
19. Sinophone Worlds
20. Sociology & Anthropology
The board accepts proposals in the following formats of participation:
1. Panel proposal: max. 250 words, including the name of the panel organiser, the chair, participants, and optionally a discussant; 3–4 paper abstracts with a maximum of 250 words for each abstract.
2. Individual paper proposal: max. 250 words
3. Alternative formats: max. 250 words, when applicable, please include the name of the organiser, the chair, and participants with an explanation of the chosen format (e.g. workshops and tutorials, film screenings) and presentation/contribution abstracts (max. 250 words each).
Applications must be submitted online at the conference’s webpage before January 6, 2020, 6 pm CET for a double-blind evaluation by an international board of referees. Scholars who have submitted their proposals by this deadline will be notified of their acceptance to the conference before March 31, 2020. The language of the conference is English.
For further information on the conference and proposal submission, go to https://conference.uni-leipzig.de/eacs2020/.
With best regards on behalf of the organising committee,
Professor of Chinese Culture & History
Institute of East Asian Studies