Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) Suzhou, P.R.C.
Deadline: 3rd Sep 2021
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of International Studies at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University was established in 2018. Sitting in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, it aims to be a leading provider of international studies education and research. Our growing department is staffed by research active scholars from all over world, including Australia, Cameroon, China, Italy, Germany Greece, Spain and the United Kingdom. The department teaches a BA and MA in International Relations, and an MA in International Business and Global Affairs, and welcomes students from all over the world. Please read further about our research, teaching, and programmes by exploring this site: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study/departments/academic-departments/international-studies/.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Successful applicants for the advertised positions will be active in one of the discipline areas advertised (broadly defined) in teaching or research. They will possess or are developing international research profiles evidenced by an established or growing research record in grants and publications. Teaching excellence is highly valued and expected. A record of departmental or university citizenship relevant to position level will be favoured as successful applicants will be expected to take on a range of administration roles in a growing and newly established department. A record of PhD supervision to completion will be expected for applicants seeking appointment at Associate Professor level or above. While not exclusively seeking applicants in the following areas, we may give preference to applicants who demonstrate some of following areas of interest in teaching and research.
- Foreign Policy Analysis/International Politics
- East and South-East Asian Studies，Middle East, and Central Asian Studies
- IR theory and International Political Sociology
- Political Science and methodologies
- International Communication
- Public Policy and Cultural Diplomacy
- International organizations and law
- IPE related to business/management studies/research methods in international business or globalization
- IR of the Asia Pacific including Southeast Asia
The successful appointee will be expected to coordinate and deliver modules across our degree programmes; to supervise undergraduate Final Year Projects and MA and PhD dissertations ; to contribute to curriculum development; to undertake research in their area of specialisation on both individual and group projects, and to be actively engaged in the publication of the research; and to participate in the administration and development of the Department of International Studies, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, or the University.
The main duties and responsibilities of the post holder are as follows:
- To teach at undergraduate and graduate level in areas allocated by the Head of Department and reviewed from time to time by the Head of Department.
- To carry out research and produce publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the Professional Development Review (PDR) process.
- To obtain research funding support.
- To engage with the broader scholarly and professional communities.
- To supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate, taught graduate (Masters) or research graduate (PhD) students.
- To contribute to the design, development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- To assist in the design, development of learning materials, preparing schemes of work and maintaining records to monitor student progress, achievement and attendance.
- To participate in departmental and School seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department.
- To participate in the design, development, administration and marking of exams and other assessments.
- To provide pastoral care and support to students.
- To participate in the administration of the department’s programmes of study and other activities as requested.
- To contribute to departmental, School, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- To maintain own continuing professional development.
- To actively follow and promote XJTLU policies.
Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills;
Evidence of departmental citizenship and teamwork.
PhD in a relevant subject area;
A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes;
Evidence of ability to teach and design modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level in areas offered by the department. Candidates are advised to look at the department website and view modules we offer.
Evidence of success working in a multicultural classroom and the ability to design teaching that responds to diverse needs.
Proven record of ability to conduct good quality research in the advertised fields which is reflected in the authorship of high-quality publications, or other research outputs, relative to opportunity;
Evidence of a clear research, funding and publication strategy;
Additionally, candidates seeking appointment at Associate Professor level or above will have published in leading journals, will have a track record of PhD supervision to completion, and will demonstrate evidence of successful research grant applications and networking. A willingness to take a leading role in the department will be viewed favourably.
Experience in international higher education.
Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education/Ability to communicate in Chinese.
Familiarity with the British system of higher education.;
Capacity to lead on the use of social media;
Professional experience in governmental or non-governmental organizations.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Follow this link to visit the announcement’s page: