Deadline: 18th Apr 2022
The Bavarian Elite Graduate Program “Standards of Decision-Making Across Cultures (SDAC)” at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg is seeking to fill the following position:
SDAC Teaching and Research Fellow (Wissenschaftliche*r Mitarbeiter*in) (100%, TV-L E 13, fixed term contract until 30 September 2027)
The position as SDAC Research and Teaching Fellow serves to further develop the anthropologically oriented multi-disciplinary SDAC study program through teaching with a focus on China (and/or Taiwan, Hong Kong). The Fellow will also be responsible for organizing and accompanying the students on their annual semester abroad at Peking University in China (currently on hold).
The Fellow’s tasks include teaching (including collaborative teaching with other program members), research, and organizational work related to the study program. Fellows have the possibility of participating in research, publication projects, international conferences/workshops, and in various activities with renowned national and international scholars. We expect our Fellow to contribute to the further development of the program with their own ideas and initiatives, which should be tailored to the SDAC program’s teaching and supervision aims.
Applicants should have successfully obtained their degree with a regional specialization on China (and/or Taiwan, Hong Kong) in a discipline such as Sinology (Chinese Studies), History, Sociology, Philosophy, Intercultural Studies, or Anthropology.
We particularly welcome applications from scholars in their post-doc period (or shortly before the completion of their PhD dissertation). Applicants should present a plan for developing an individual research project within the SDAC program’s thematic framework that they wish to pursue during the contract duration. The research topic should also play a role in the Fellow’s teaching. The Fellow will be expected to teach introductory classes in her/his discipline with a focus on decision-making as well as classes focusing on (trans-)regional competences. It is imperative that our Fellow can tailor these classes to the SDAC program’s unconventional composition of students with highly diverse and multidisciplinary backgrounds. A central role of the Fellow will be high-quality teaching. We therefore expect didactic competences, the willingness to attend regular trainings in university didactics, and a willingness to adjust one’s teaching contents to the requirements and interests of our students. In addition to an excellent internationally competitive academic profile, the ideal candidate should be a team player who enjoys collaborative work among the teaching staff and shows a high degree of personal initiative.
Successful applicants will have an international publication record (suitable for their career stage), and experience in giving presentations at conferences/workshops in the English language. Applicants should have ambitious academic career plans and describe them in their application documents.
• MA-level teaching in the SDAC program (min. 4 hours per week during the semester)
• Organizing and supervising the SDAC program’s semester abroad on-site at Peking University in China (during the German academic calendar’s winter semester)
• Administrative tasks, supporting the SDAC program’s leadership committee and the program coordinator
• Developing and maintaining contacts for potential fields of internships and employment for the SDAC program’s students/graduates
• Supporting internships and fieldwork projects, supporting scholarship applications
• Advising students in the SDAC Mentoring Program
• Co-supervising Master thesis projects (also beyond one’s own discipline)
Required and desirable qualifications:
• Degree in one of the above-listed disciplines, with a focus on China (and/or Taiwan, Hong Kong)
• If the PhD degree has not yet been awarded, the dissertation project should be close to its completion
• Excellent English and good proficiency in Chinese (for supervising the semester abroad in China). All courses are taught in English. If required, the applicant may teach introductory Chinese language classes.
• Intercultural competence and experience
• Teaching experience, preferably in English and with interdisciplinary components
• Competences in teaching didactics at the university level (proven e.g. by attended courses/trainings, evaluations etc.) and the willingness to regularly attend didactics trainings
• Service orientation to support student matters in the exceptional framework of a Bavarian Elite network study program
The position is fixed-term, as it is financed by a grant for the SDAC program’s second funding period which ends in September 2027. There is no tenure-track option or negotiation perspective for a permanent position.
Die FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg ist seit 2016 Mitglied des Best Practice Clubs „Familie in der Hochschule“. Sie fördert die berufliche Gleichstellung von Frauen und bittet deshalb Frauen nachdrücklich um ihre Bewerbung. Die Stelle ist für schwerbehinderte Menschen geeignet. Schwerbehinderte Bewerberinnen und Bewerber werden bei ansonsten im Wesentlichen gleicher Eignung bevorzugt eingestellt. Bei weiteren Nachfragen besuchen Sie gerne unsere Homepage sdac.studium.fau.de oder wenden sich an unseren Koordinator, Oleg Vasilchenko, per E-Mail an email@example.com. Wir freuen uns über Ihre aussagekräftige Bewerbung (aussagekräftiges Anschreiben, das auch auf die Bewerbungsmotivation auf längerfristige Karrierepläne eingeht, Lebenslauf, kurze Proposals für 2 exemplarische Lehrveranstaltungen und ein Forschungsprojekt im thematischen Rahmen des SDACProgramms; eine exemplarische Veröffentlichung, falls vorhanden Lehrevaluationen und Nachweise hochschuldidaktischer Fortbildungen, Namen und Kontaktdaten von zwei Referenzen). Diese richten Sie bitte bis zum 18.04.2022 als einzelne PDF in elektronischer Form an: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Elitemasterstudiengang Standards of Decision-Making Across Cultures, Prof. Dr. Stephanie Homola (Program Director), Henkestr. 91 (Haus 8, 2. Stock, Postfach SDAC), 91052 Erlangen.